Monday, October 31, 2011

Farsighted by Emlyn Chand - great journey of a read

I loved Farsighted by Emlyn Chand by the end of the first page when I realized Alex the main character in this adventure out-of-the-ordinary story is blind. It was obvious to me that the author spent a lot of time around blind people because she was able to not only convey what he saw, by not seeing but by hearing and listening to the empty spaces.

Alex is like any boy going into his sophomore year in high school. He wants to do well, have a real friend and nothing to do with his parents, or in this case, more his father. When a psychic lady takes over the shop next to his mother’s flower shop this opens the story to intrigue. And, when the new girl in town, Simmi enters the school, for the first time Alex feels he might be able to have a real friend.

The ironic thing with Alex is he has second sight and when his hallucinations take over he must rely on his senses to determine what’s real and what’s not. Farsighted takes the reader on a journey into mystism, the occult, psychic powers and a boy transitioning from boyhood to adulthood with real responsibilities. I especially enjoyed the fumbling love triangle Alex starts to develop.

Chand did a great job overlaying his blindness and grasping me into the type of world he lives in. I loved that she conveyed how anger tastes to him and how he starts to understand his hallucinations by different smells.

I will say that this is a book I wanted to hold in my hands. I wanted to be Alex, let my fingers glide over the chapter headings, feel the weight of the paper just like he does when reading and take in the smell of the book. I sincerely hope this book becomes available for the blind. I also thought this would make a great audio read book.

Emlyn Chand
The book is a journey and I highly recommend readers to embark upon it.

• Farsighted on Amazon > http://ow.ly/75HvL


• Farsighted on GoodReads > http://ow.ly/75Hwo

Don’t forget to check out the official Farsighted tour page.

http://www.emlynchand.com/

1 comment:

Emlyn Chand said...

Wow, thank you so much for the wonderful review, Renee! I'm glad you liked the love triangle, because book 2 in the series explores that quite a bit more. Thank you for supporting me in my early authorhood. We're like little birds leaving the nest, new authors. It helps to have a few friendly faces in the big scary world :-D