Friday, November 11, 2011

Heaven is for Heroes by PJ Sharon - Great YA Read for Remembrance Day

I have tears in my eyes again. I just finished P.J. Sharon’s amazing YA book Heaven is for Heroes and I think it’s only fitting that on Remembrance Day I highlight it. Heaven is for Heroes starts off with a funeral but quickly becomes a journey for both Alex (aka Coop) and Jordan who both have to learn to get over the loss of Lee, brother to Jordan and friend and marine buddy to Coop.


I loved how the book took me inside Jordan’s head, from her trying to be normal, wishing to uncover the truth about her brother’s death to her growing feelings for Coop and her struggling sense of what the future holds for her. There’s such struggle between Coop and Jordan that I was rooting for them from the get go to get together, but I’m not going to tell you how this ends because it’s worth reading every page of this book.

I loved how Sharon was descriptive with her prose, so much so, I could picture Coop trying to learn how to cope with one leg, how often he cursed at the nurses and at himself. Guilt is a huge layer in this book but it doesn’t take away from the fact that Jordan and Coop are teenagers wanting to explore each other like any normal teens. Those awkward ‘almost’ moments were precious.

For anyone who has family in the military this book is a great teen read, and for those that don’t it certainly will give you a true appreciation of how the effects of war reach well beyond the people who fight in them. For a person who has never read a YA book about an injured marine, I highly recommend this book.


For more information on PJ Sharon and her books check out http://circlepad.com/pjsharon/Books

Purchase link -
Heaven Is For Heroes

No comments: